Sunday, January 4, 2015

Bali Holiday; A Day in Geger Beach

It's a very bright sunny day today after the raining been pouring on and off since the new year's eve. This is my last day in Bali as I'll fly back to Jogja tomorrow in the dawn.  So, I decided to spend the day in one of my favourite beach, Geger beach. Located in the south coastline between Nusa Dua and Pandawa beach, this is the only few public beach that remained after these big chain resort claimed to have "private" beach in front of their hotel and resort. I remembered back in 2009 the first  time I visited this beach, there was only few local restaurant settled with the whole beach are empty. Everyday you would find a seaweed farmers harvest or nurture their green and red algae to send good food to the world's table. Once you jump to the water, you can see the coral and seaweed plants as the water is very clear and calm. In the top of the reef edge situated a beautiful Pura with white sands beach down there where Balinese held the major prayers or ceremonies.

 It changes a lot now. More than half of the previous empty land is pilled up by a big big chain hotel with green grass yard and big swimming pool and jogging track facing the beach. What I like from this new built Hotel is they let public to use their jogging track and people can freely use the beach in front of their hotel, unlike the Nusa Dua's beach that are strictly prohibited people even to pass the beach area in front of their hotel. This big chain Hotel in Geger beach seems want their guest to blend with people, or they don't pay the government to privatize the beach. I don't know which one is the reason, but this is good for me since I like this beach just to swim, lay down on the sands, wandering with my camera for some good photo snaps.  

I decided to rent canoe and row to the "middle of the sea" to enjoy the scenery of this beach from the sea. It's a different angle of enjoying the beach since now I can see the blue turquoise water, white sands beaches, umbrellas , and building with palm trees everywhere. The lady who sail with  the stand peddle let his peddle flowing on the sea while she is practicing yoga on her peddle. Yoga on a peddle in the sea requires a highly practiced skills I guess. 

Besides of English spoken with Australian accent,  chatters are Russian, french, and Italiano and Japanese. Once in a while a big group of Korean and Mandarin or Cantonese speakers come by. As usual, this big group coming to the beach not to swim or go into the water. With the wide hat and long dress they are busy doing selfie with various of mimics that make me thinking; what so pretty about mimicking your face in that particular way? I don't know. Perhaps it's a new definition of cute, or just a definition in certain part of Asia. You know what kind of mimics I mean, don't you?

I can say the sea foods served in the small restaurants along Geger beach are one of the best in Bali. It's served by 3 restaurants  situated in the public beach. My favorite all the time is Seafood kebab from Yo Spa's restaurant where also they serve my favourite drink fruit punch made of fresh mango, orange, pineapple, grenadine syrup in the bottom which gives the nice aroma and soda water on top which gives the fresh punch. All the menus are very cheap with fresh juices only range from 10 K-15 K.  The nextdoor restaurant, Fleet Bar and Cafe is my second favorite simply because it is the only restaurant or bar in this beach serves coffee from espresso. So, I spend the morning writing my theses in Fleet Bar and Cfae accompanied by cups of fresh brewed coffee and the lunch and after lunch time in Yo Spa's Bar and Cafe for good seafood kebab and fruit punch or geger sunrise. 


When the sun goes down, I decided to take a walk along the beach to the direction of Nusa Dua. I found out that among this luxury resorts and private villas, there are some tiny pieces left for public that not many people know about since they are wrapped among all these" private" beach. 

Geger, January 4th 2015



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whaddaya think?