Sunday, June 19, 2011

Saturday Night Story; Whether it’s a SWOT or a TOWS We Have to Dream

Saturday Night. What so special of it? It sounds like a pathetic question from a single guy who doesn't have someone to hang out with*lol*. No, it's not about it. In my case, I never been considering a Saturday night as a special night in my life. However, when I was in Malang, I always went to my favorite café, Coffee Time to enjoy life music performances. Do not imagine a crowded atmosphere like you have in the night club or disco. It's a cozy café with tranquil atmosphere and nice people surround. It was a place where I had been my thesis when I was a student. Therefore, the cafés in Malang commonly is a place to serene your soul or to finish your college project. I miss these places so much now.


 

I couldn't find that kind of place here in Batam. Therefore, I planned to spend my time to enjoy the art of doing anything in my place. Having my own created coffee and pancakes until a friend of mine offered me to go with him to a 'remaja mesjid' gathering. He wanted me to share and give a motivation session for them. So, there we go.


 

When I got there, I only found few teenagers waiting. A few minute later, other teenager came. With a bunch of 'gorengan' accompanied I gave them some insight. I just felt that they need to expand their horizon and to know themselves well. When there were some of them couldn't describe themselves, I joked; okey guys you better to introduce yourself to yourself first.


 

Knowing yourself is one of the key to be a success man. Knowing yourself mean you know what do you want in this life and what are your weakness and strength. Based on that knowledge, we can dream what we could be; we can set the strategy to reach that dream. For more sophisticated strategy we can use the classical mapping of SWOT or the more recent one TOWS. I like Hermawan Kertajaya's explanation about this mapping in his awesome book, Grow with Character.


 

These both mapping strategy actually included of same point. What differ between them is in the paradigm. TOWS Paradigm tend to make the make the footing on past. It's a bias. It means, when we list your strength you tend to look back the strength you had in the past and define our strategy on it. SWOT put the strength and weakness (SW) that are the internal aspect for the footing to define the strategy. Therefore, we'll never think out of your condition. We cannot make a breakthrough strategy. You are limited by the weaknesses and strength that you have listed. The strategy we make tends to be a defendant strategy.


 

However, when you use TOWS mapping you put the Threat and opportunity (TO) as a footing to decide our strategy. The strategy that you make is based on the threat and opportunity that always change. Therefore, this paradigm is a future paradigm. Instead of rushing with our weakness and strength problem, we are 'forced' to improve our strength to meet the threat and opportunity. We will think to manage our weakness so we can face the threat and fulfill the opportunities. The strategy we produced is progressive. Though, it hard anyway. However, it's always needed more trial and effort to get the best things, isn't it?


 

However, What I presented to these teenagers in not this sophisticated theory. I just hope that they have awareness about what happen outside. I want them to look outside their window and motivated to involve in the change that happen. I want them to prepare themselves to meet these changes. I want to encourage them to dream high because the fact we found is the higher education we got the lowest dream we have.


 

It's my Saturday night story. What about yours?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whaddaya think?